Halberton from 1900 to today

Please note that our records of Halberton in the First World War have yet to be added to the site and will be shown under a seperate menu in this section

1914-1918The First World War
1919The Halberton Memorial Hall (Previously the Swan Inn, now the Village Hall) opened
1921Halberton’s population was 1,188, the lowest recorded in a census and 557 (32%) lower than it had been in 1851
1923The Culm Valley Electric Light Supply Company started supplying mains electricity to the village (This link will take you to an excellent film on the BFI site showing how electricity supply changed the lives of farmers in Scotland)
1927Halberton Halt railway halt opened (see 1964 for more information about the Halt)
1932The Bible Christian Chapel (now Eastgate House, High Street) closed and the building was sold
1933The playing field behind the school was given to the village by JW Clarke of Bridwell
1939-1945The Second World War
1949Mains water supply was installed
1950The present Ash Thomas Village Hall was built
1954New sewers laid
1959Ash Thomas school closed
1961Houses in the High Street re-numbered
1962The Grand Western Canal was formally closed as a commercial waterway
1963The Twose agricultural engineering premises in Halberton closed (now the site of Millstream Gardens)
1964Halberton Halt railway halt closed
1969The Cullompton by-pass opened
1971The Grand Western Canal was designated a Country Park
1975The M5 to Exeter opened
1989The North Devon Link Road opened
1990Most of the village was designated a Conservation Area
1991Halberton’s population was 1,325 people; 420 (24%) fewer than it had been in 1851.
1992Traffic calming scheme introduced
2001Loosemore’s shop and petrol station in Lower Town closed down.
2007Halberton is named Devon village of the year
2009The last remaining shop in the village, the Post Office in the High Street, closed down.
2011Halberton’s population was 2,096; a staggering increase of 771 (58%) over the twenty years since 1991
2020The Covid-19 pandemic

Halbertonians

ENGLISH, Winifred 1890-1914

Voluntary Aid Detachment nurse during the First World War

SAUNDERS, Mrs Elizabeth 1822-1926

Centenarian

The MILDON family of Bradley House, Ash Thomas 1843-circa 1965

Benefactors

TRENCH Captain Bernard Frederick RM 1880-1967

A British spy during the First World War